Carpe Diem!

Home

Registry

Photo Gallery

Historical Documents

Project List

Related Links

Other Heritage Yachts

Other Heritage Yachts (p2)

FAQ

General Information

        These boats originally had two Dorade vents just forward of midships.  One in the head and one in the STBD passageway forward.  I replaced the one in the head with a small Bomar hatch.  The reasons were two fold.  One I thought I could get better ventilation with a hatch because it was a bigger opening and two because it let in more light.

             I started the install by marking the cutout with the inner molding ring.  This is the largest piece in the assembly and fits from the inside of the hatch.  After marking the deck I drilled holes at each corner so that I could insert a saw blade.  Next it was connecting the dots and before you know it I had a hole in the deck.  After the panic subsided and I dry fit the hatch I started to look for ways to adjust for the small camber in the deck.  I found that I could fit two 3/16” washers in the gap on either side.  So I laid down sealant and mounted the hatch.  One thing that  I did find is that the deck in that area is ~1.75” thick!

Here is the view from the head.  The picture does not do it as much justice, it really does add a lot more light.

Head Hatch Replacement    

Bomar Hatch Installation

Last Updated: 31 May 2008

Here you can see the layers of the deck.  That is 1/2” balsa core!